Search site

Useful links

Link to Leeds Global Community

International Student Office

Tier 4 applying in the UK

Tier 4 applying in the UK

If you currently have a Tier 4 or student visa and need more time in the UK as a student, you can make an immigration application in the UK. If you have a Student Visitor Visa or Tier 4 Dependant visa it is not possible to switch into Tier 4 from within the UK.

If you are applying in the UK you should always make your application before your current visa expires. If you wait until your visa has already expired you will be an overstayer and will lose your right of appeal if your application is refused.

You must book an appointment with the International Student Office to have your visa application checked. The International Student Office will then send this for you if you choose to apply by post.

What do I need to do?

If you begin to think about your immigration application 2 months before your visa expires you will have enough time to prepare everything properly. It will also make the process less stressful.  You need to complete the application form and collect all the necessary supporting documents. The International Student Office will not complete the form for you. Completing the form and collecting the documents may take you some time so start your prepartion early.

Requesting a CAS - Existing Students Only

You need to request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the International Student Office, if the request is authorised, the CAS will then be e-mailed to you within 5 working days of your request by Student Administration. Please complete and e-mail this CAS Request form to the International Student Office. When you e-mail the form to us, please save the form electronically with your surname (in capitals) first and your forename second.

If you require a CAS to apply under the Tier 4 - Doctorate Extension Scheme (for completing PhD students only), please download the specific CAS request form for this application from our Working After Study page.

Please note that you must submit evidence of your finances with your CAS request form, this should be a bank statement or a letter of official financial sponsorship. We will be unable to issue a CAS unless you can demonstrate that you have the documents to meet the Home Office financial requirements at the time of your request.

Please e-mail your CAS request form with a scan of your financial documents to: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and an Adviser will assess the documents and respond to you.

For new students, your CAS will be generated by the University Admissions department.

Apply Online

Once you have the CAS, you should complete the application form online at the Home Office website here. You should stop completing the form at the ‘check application’ stage to ensure that any amendments needed can be made when you have an appointment with an Adviser.

Once you have completed the application form online and this has been checked by an Adviser at the International Student Office, you can then print and sign it. If you are applying by post, you will need to return this to the International Student Office with your supporting documents for us to send.

How can the International Student Office help me?

Once you received your CAS, you must book an appointment at the International Student Office to have your visa application checked by an adviser. If you want to make your application by post, the International Student Office will be able to send your application for you. If you are applying in person, we will be able to check your application before you go to the Home Office. This flowchart explains what you need to do and what ISO will do to help you.

What documents do I need?

It is your responsibility to collect all the documents that you need for your application. All documents must be translated into English if they aren’t in English already. If you have a document that requires translation, you can search for a translator here. Depending on your situation you might need different documents to your friends. The application form will help to tell you which documents you need. You will need some, or all, of the following documents:

  • Completed Tier 4 application form
  • Your current passport and any other passports that you hold with you
  • 2 passport photos which have been taken within the last month
  • Payment for your application - you will need a debit or credit card to pay for your application
  • Sponsor letter (if you are sponsored)
  • Financial documents – bank statements, bank letters, savings books etc. You need to hold your funds for a minimum of 28 days and your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date you make your application
  • If you are relying on money held in your parents’ bank accounts you will need: Your original birth certificate with an official translation if not in English; Your parents’ bank statements; A letter from your parents confirming they are supporting you
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • Previous qualifications if mentioned in your CAS. If your CAS states that you are being ‘sponsored on the basis of progress to date’ you do not need to provide qualification evidence
  • Police Registration Certificate if applicable
  • ATAS Certificate if applicable
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if applicable
  • Birth and marriage certificates for dependants (husband / wife and children) if applicable and only if they are applying as part of your immigration application

What documents are not required?

  • University Registration Certificate
  • Unconditional offer letter
  • Any qualifications that are not mentioned on your CAS
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Accommodation receipts
  • Covering letters to Home Office

How much will it cost?

Our service is free of charge to international students at the University of Leeds. However, the Home Office charges a fee. From 6th April 2014 Postal applications cost £422 and applications made in person cost £822.  The cost for each dependant is also £422 for postal applications and £822 for applications made in person.

How long will the process take?

Postal applications are, in most cases, decided within 8 weeks of the Home Office receiving the application. Applications made in person at the Home Office are decided within 10 working days of the appointment. During busy periods such as September and October, the Home Office may not have enough in person appointments so you may need to send your application by post even if this isn’t your preference.

Genuineness Tests

From 1st October 2013, students applying for a Tier 4 extension may be asked to attend a genuineness test. This is likely to be similar to the interviews some Tier 4 applicants attend overseas when applying for a visa. We will post further information about this as soon as we receive anything further from the Home Office

What if my old visa expires before I get my new visa?

Don’t worry - you won’t be in the UK illegally! As long as you submit your immigration application before the expiry date of your current visa you are entitled to remain in the UK while the Home Office consider your application. It doesn’t matter how long the Home Office take to make a decision.