Tier 4 responsibilities
Tier 4 of the Points-Based System places requires students and education providers to comply with certain responsibilities. These responsibilities apply wherever you study as a Tier 4 student and are not particular to the University of Leeds. Please take care to read this page carefully so you are aware of what you and the University are required to do.
As a Tier 4 student, the UK Border Agency expects you to meet a number of conditions which are listed below.
- Remain registered as a full-time student and attend all of your lectures/classes. If you are not able to attend then you should inform your department as you must not have any unauthorised absences.
- Register with the police if it states on your visa that you are required to do so. You must also make sure that your police certificate is kept up-to-date with your current address and immigration permission
- Leave the UK if you stop studying (for example if you interrupt your studies or have retake exams and will not be attending during the year). You should always seek advice from the International Student Office if your registration status is about to change.
- Not breach the conditions of your visa. This includes ensuring that you do not work more hours than you should. For further information about working in the UK whilst on a Tier 4 student visa, visit our working during study page.
- Inform the university if you change immigration status and no longer have Tier 4 immigration permission. You can do this by bringing your new visa into the Student Services Centre.
- Inform the university every time you obtain a new Tier 4 (General) Student visa by bringing your Biometric Residence Permit and your passport into the Student Services Centre
- Ensure the university holds up to date contact details for you by updating the student portal with any changes of address or personal details
- If you have a pending visa application and you change your address you must inform the UK Border Agency via their online form here
- Inform the university if your application to the UK Border Agency is refused. You should seek advice from the International Student Office if this happens
You can do simple things to protect your immigration status in the UK. Read the UKCISA information sheet ‘Protecting your Tier 4 immigration status’ for more details.
For more information about your rights and your responsibilities while you are in the UK visit the UK Border Agency website.
As a Tier 4 Sponsor, the UK Border Agency requires the University of Leeds to do the following:
- Ensure that we have up-to-date contact details for all Tier 4 students
- Ensure we have a copy of all students’ current Tier 4 visa
- Inform the UK Border Agency of any students who fail to register for their programme of study
- Inform the UK Border Agency of any students who interrupt or withdraw from their programme of study and confirm the date that they intend to leave the UK.
- Monitor the attendance of Tier 4 students and report to the UK Border Agency any students who fail to meet the UK Border Agency’s requirements.
- Inform the UK Border Agency about any significant changes to a student’s circumstances or programme of studies (eg. if a student completes the programme early).